Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Google Interview

One day i taking @ Google site for their new services and products that make me amazing day by day.....
By luck i found a link for opening jobs there in different location @ world...
I explore these jobs, and i ask my self why i don't try to apply my cv there..may some one feel that it is a useless step, but i feel that make me face with my technical shortage....
So, i decide to apply my CV to opening job in poland, they reply me automatically as they will view my CV and will see my suitable jobs for my qualification.....
after Two days they send me email request me my free time to make the first technical phone interview with google software engineer @UK for 45 minutes, wow, it will be so hard for sure . Iam afraid from their english, because my native language is arabic and my english skills are intermediate specially in listening .
I beging preparing my self in several technical topics like data structure and alogrithms, scripting, especially problem solving (I solve about 15 question with java implementation)
Eng Hassan, Software Engineer @Uk phone me @suitable time, beging introducing my self, first i try as much as i can to get his english statement..
First Question: How to traverse a Tree level By level
Answer: I get an idea of making a loop for n levels and for each iteration get childs of parent ...
It is so classic answer, and by the way it is an AI algorithm called BreadthFirst, solved as a queue implementation..
Second Question: Tell me a searching alogrithm u saw it as a fast?
Answer: I Think about BinarySearch, and tell him its pesudo code,
Third Question: What if we rotate array so that the smallest element not in the firs..
Answer: i dont have answer for it ...... and i will think and send my solutions through emails...
Interview is finished with afraid...
I send hassan my solutions and wait for Google reply.....
after 4 days, they send me email from uk office to prepare to the 2nd interview, and i will be semi happy for passing the first interview.
Software engineering fro US will phone me, wow, iam afraid also from their english..
Question 1: Give me an example for a linked list?
Answer: A list of family
Question 2: what is the difference between array list in java and linked list?
Answer: i know that array list is a dynamic array, so that elements are stored sequentially in memory but with dynamic size, while elements in linked list are stored randomly in memory
Question 3: so when we use linked list in some cases?
Answer: i know that accessing elements in array is faster than linked list, but i dont remember why. i forget, i dont know ...
He think with me, and tell me an example to think with him ..
what if we have an array of elements and try to insert element @the middle?
I answer if we use linked list, it will be easy, it is a normal procedure...
But in array we need to shift all upper elements to insert new element...
So in this case linked list will be better....
By the way i lost alot of the english words in listening that make me confused when speaking, so sorry.
I fail in 2nd interview for my english skills, so i should find a way to improve my english and contact google later...
Thx for my god at any way...

5 comments:

  1. really english skills is also so important we have hear good technical engineers but with bad english skills
    i am one of them i am also make about 3 phone interviews with some companies at UK and Spain but i fail in them all because English

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes dear, It is a big problem in my life, I will make my boys enter language school to be able applying for google....:)
    We should try again for improving our english skills, then retry in google again....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alsalam alikom

    ok my dears we have know the problem but what is the solution?
    even we can speak english well , we will lost it by the time because we donot speak it in our home or job.
    we are forced tospeak arabic all the time. so give me a solution

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear, even we are forced to speak arabic most of the time, But we can start from AUC English courses Level by level, that will give us more advance in english as i c with most ppl, plus we can specify a block of time daily and try to find others who we can speak with them in english..... I think we can start that in an easily way , thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hany
    I think you failed firstly not because of your English - Which would still have failed you even if you got that answer to the third questions in each interview.

    How come you say you studied data structured and you stumble upon when to use a linked list? That is abc in data structures. I think the problem lies in two areas:
    1) you cannot simply cram for a Google interview in a couple of days if you have no prior exposure of experience with algorithms and data structures
    2) You must have used dip-shit resources to prepare, the following is the recommendation from Google: Algorithm Design Manula, and for MS: Introduction to Algorithms

    ReplyDelete